1st stripe Vocabulary:
- Bokken – wooden practice sword
- Bu – military
- Budoka – military art person, any follower of the Budo doctrine
- Budo – military way or way of fighting, all Do arts : Judo, Aikido, Kendo, Kyudo, Karatedo, Kobudo
- Bugei – martial arts; a term encompassing the older (jutsu) arts practiced before the mid 18th century. There were forerunners of the Budo. (pronounced Boo gay)
- Bogu – protective equipment/gear used for sparring and weapons sparring and derived from Kendo equipment
- Bogu kumite – sparring with armor, contact sparring with protective equipment
- Bo jutsu – art of using the bo
- Renzuki – alternate punching, continuous attack
- Donzuki – consecutive attacks using the same hand
- Ashi sabaki – foot work, foot movement
- Tai sabaki – body movement, circular
- Bugei sha – Martial arts person, formal name for someone training in Bujutsu
- Bujutsu – Military arts, a collective term for all of the Jutsu (arts) existing before the mid 18th century. These combatives, whose main use was to overcome a foe in combat, were the forerunners of the modern Do (way). Judo evolved from Jujutsu, Kendo from Kenjutsu, Karatedo from Karatejutsu (Tode jutsu), Kobudo from Kobujutsu and so on.
- Tode/Tote – also Tode jutsu, refers to the Chinese T’ang dynasty, a period of time that greatly influenced the indigenous Okinawa art of Te (hand), the name they used to describe their own art. By adding the Japanese word Jutsu (meaning art), Tode jutsu meant ” China hand art”. Obviously the ancient Okinawans meant to respect three cultures in their art: the Chinese “Tode” (later changed to Kara), their own “Te” and the Japanese “Jutsu”.
- Renshi – “Polished expert”, martial arts teacher who is fourth to sixth degree black belt. Not all black belts are awarded this title.
- Kyoshi – “Expert instructor”
2nd stripe Basics:
- Ten step blocking drill done as two man drill.
3rd stripe Kicks:
- Hook kick short into push roundhouse kick.
- Fake hook kick into roundhouse kick.
- Fake roundhouse kick into hook kick.
- Drills: RB, HR, HH. RH, SB.
4th stripe Self defense:
- Defense against punches and kicks and follow up
- Straight, right, left
- Hook, right, left
- Front kick, right, left
- Side kick, right, left
- Round kick, right, left
- Any punch
- Any kick
5th stripe Sparring:
- Fake reverse punch into wide roundhouse kick.
- Near heel hook into near roundhouse kick (same leg)
- Near heel hook into side kick or hook kick (same leg).
- Near heel hook and take down.
- Defensive kicking
- Side kick, hook kick, back kick, and jump front or back kick
6th stripe Kata:
- Pinan godan
6th stripe Kobudo:
- Odo no tunfa ichi